Kasia's story. EVS in Lisbon.



There is a number of Polish volunteers who were sent by SPW for their EVS (European Voluntary Service) projects abroad. We decided – and they agreed :) - to share some of their stories from foreign countries. 

As I already wrote before, I believe that EVS is great opportunity to travel, to meet people and make good friends, it is also a chance to do what you are interested in (there are plenty of different projects in different countries), to gain personal and professional skills, develop some talents you already have, to feel that you do something useful…

So let’s read/see how other volunteers are dealing with their projects, with new countries and environment, with new people they meet, new responsibilities.. We will publish here some of their adventures and experiences.

And let’s start with the story of Kasia. She is EVS volunteer in SPIN Association, in Portugal.


Hey. I am Kasia and I am from Mińsk Mazowiecki, town close to Warsaw. I was trying to find EVS for a looong time (since I was 18 years old). Finally being 21 years old I managed to find a 9-month long EVS project in Lisbon, Portugal. Before my EVS I was in Portugal 4 times and it was truly love from the first sight. I loved mostly Lisbon...

It was a long journey, but I don't regret that I came to Lisbon. I still have 2 more months to spend here and I am already thinking of possibilities to stay here for a longer time. I love being volunteer in Association SPIN where I am doing my EVS. I got here a lot of friends and positive energy. I love culture, language, climate.


Portuguese culture is for sure different that Polish. Their traditional music, fado, is totally different than our traditional music. When Polish food is mostly about meat and fried things, in Portugal there is fish, fish and more fish. I got really surprise by Portuguese Christmas (I got invited to spend Christmas with Portuguese family). Thing that I liked the most about Christmas in Portugal was Christmas tree... with some extras we don't have in Poland.

Kasia

And I need to tell that after over half year in Portugal, I cannot get used to giving two kisses, even for people you are meeting the first time. I learned here to drink coffee (even if I am still adding a lot of milk and drinking it 2 times a week). I learned that Portugal is country where you need to have good shoes and walking on high-heels is only for masters: Portuguese pavements are really slippery and hard to walk on, mostly in the rain. Sound of Portuguese language for some people can be a little weird... but I truly love it.


My hosting organization make sure not only that I have interesting things to do, but also that I feel good in Lisbon. In my project - me and other volunteers are working helping in coordinating EVS projects in different organizations, organizing youth exchanges and training courses and helping in organizing cultural events from people from the community. Association SPIN also has hostel where volunteers helps as well. We are also making information sessions about EVS and different Erasmus + opportunities. We are having a lot of "paper work", but this is what I like so I am not complaining ;) Before EVS I was also working as a volunteer in similar tasks and I really appreciate the fact that I can learn more from association experienced in this area.
Christmas in assocation
SPIN hostel
Enjoying the time


Being here I have learnt a lot: not only professionally, but also personally. I've never lived out of Poland before... I've never lived out of my parents’ house. It was a long shot... But I managed and I am happy I did.

So see you in Poland... if I decide to come back... :)

Beautiful view of Lisbon


Comments