From Russia with love - Adrian and his EVS

This is a story of Adrian, who spent 10 months as an EVS volunteer in Nizhni Novgorod, Russia. Check out what has he been doing there and what did he learn from this experience!
Name: Adrian Suchta
Age: 23
From: Poland
EVS in: Russia


Where did you do your EVS and why did you choose this country?

Russia, Nizhni Novgorod. Because I am really interested in culture, history and language of this country. It was my dream go to Russia. Now I know that I want to go there one more time. EVS was a great opportunity to get to know this country and improve language skills. 

Can you please tell something about the project: what were your tasks, how did your „normal“ day look like?
I was working in SFERA office. So my ordinary working day was in office, where I had tasks like: translation (English to Russian mostly), meeting youngsters interested in workcamps, preparing my own events (like „Movie nights” and meetings about non-formal education, volunteerism and traveling), helping with „Solyanka” project (language exchange meeting organized by SFERA) and ordinary office tasks. Except this I visit schools and universities (to talk about volunteerism mostly) and I took a part in some local events as a volunteer. During the summer I took a part in workcamp. 

What did you do before your project? 

I studied Belorussian philology in Warsaw University. Except this I was active volunteer in SPW – I took part in many workcamps (also as a lider), trainings and youth exchanges. I was mentor of EVS volunteers in Warsaw.

What would you tell about country, local people and their habits - is there something really different from Poland/Poles? 

It's really hard to explain. Of course, Russians are different than Poles, but also I can find some similarities. For some reasons, like knowing local language in a good level and this similarities (in general I would like to say that Slavic people have something common) I didn't have problems in contacts with local society. Sometimes I felt lost, because it's impossible to understand everything in language you learn, but now this situations are for me like funny stories to tell to my friends.


Do you have some funny/interesting/horror story to tell? :) (something special what happened during your stay in Russia, something you would like to share...) 

Maybe the moment, when I was fcoming back to my new home at nighti for the first time. I liveed quite far away from the city center, and you should know that in Russian transport there is no much information about bus stops and stuff like this… especially when you are foreigner. So I had no idea where is my bus stop, and how to recognize it. All I had was name “Stryelkovaya”. So I asked controller if its far away. An I got typical Russian answer “narmalna” - so it's like “normal”. Nod good, nor bad. Not far, not close. Not boring, not interesting. Not beautiful, nougly. Just “narmalna”. So with this answer I felt really lost :D But in the end I found my new home :)

After that experience I started to be more open for local mentality. In the end of project I travel across Russia 7000 kilometers by hitch-hiking… but it's longer story…  

What did you learn/gain from your EVS experience? 

Really a lot. First at all I learn a lot about myself. Living in a totally different place, with new people gave me a lot to thing about habits, living together and dealing with daily problems. It was challenging but I think it's too personal to explain that with details. 
I also really got improved my language skills – especially with Russian language. Now I am fluent in this language but I still try to learn more (by reading and keeping contact with Russian friends). 
In my job I learn a lot about office working stuff. I improved my translation, organizational and presentation skills. I also learned how to use Russian social media (no, facebook is not popular in Russia, they use vk.com). Now after project I started to think, that I really would like to work in this kind of organization here in Poland. So EVS gave me kind of motivation, but first I need to finish my university and get more experience.

Comments